Tuesday, January 27, 2009

恭喜發財!

That would be gong hay fat choy up there, or, as the Mando people say it, gong xi fa cai.

Happy Lunar New Year! I know this post is a little bit late, seeing as the majority of initial celebration happens of the eve of this day, and it's rather late now anyway. But did you know that, traditionally, the Lunar New Year is celebrated for fifteen straight days? (In China, anyway. I can't testify for other countries.) It's my favorite holiday, a definite time for family, red envelopes, sugary snacks, tea, firecrackers, and incense. And you know what? This is the first year of my life where I will get none of that, being alone in wholly non-Lunar-New-Year-celebrating community. Not only am I not with my family, but I can't even enjoy festivals on my own.

It is pretty disappointing, to say the least.

However, I will try to remember our (our: my family, not our: larger Chinese community since ancient times) traditions, and I will remember the story I read in Fruits Basket about how the rat hitched a ride on the ox's back while traveling to the zodiac banquet.

Yeah Year of the Ox!

No comments:

Post a Comment